Manchester United are targeting a shock move for Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante during this summer’s transfer window, according to The Mirror.
The Red Devils are expected to sign a quality defensive midfielder this summer, and they have already been linked with several names including Frenkie de Jong.
De Jong worked with manager Erik ten Hag at Ajax, but a deal appears difficult with the Dutchman highly unlikely to leave Barcelona without Champions League football.
Amidst this, The Mirror claim that Kante has emerged as an option. Ten Hag believes the Frenchman is a realistic target for the Red Devils as the Blues plan to reshuffle their midfield.
The 52-year-old feels the World Cup winner would be an ideal player in the centre of the park, and has the ability and experience to guide his young stars for next season and beyond.
Kante has been an excellent performer for Chelsea over the years. The Frenchman has been superb with his defensive contributions while he has also been hailed for his tireless workrate.
The 31-year-old has had another good season with an average of 2.2 tackles and one interception per league game, but there have been plenty of instances where he has not been at his best.
The Frenchman has been dispossessed on occasions which have indirectly contributed to the opposition finding the back of the net. Hence, it can be said that he is no longer playing at the peak of his powers.
Despite this, Kante would still provide an upgrade on the likes of Scott McTominay and Fred, but his recent injury record should be another cause for concern during the backend of his career.
Kante would be a good signing for the short-term. He may have a similar impact to Matic when he first arrived from Chelsea. He is valued at £45 million by Transfermarkt, but United should look to prise him away for much less. Otherwise, a deal does not appear worthwhile.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?