Manchester United are interested in signing Juventus goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, as per TuttoJuve.
The Red Devils currently have David de Gea as their number one choice. The Spaniard has been a regular starter for the past 12 seasons, but that could change in the next campaign.
It is now claimed by TuttoJuve that United and Chelsea are looking to bring Szczesny back to the Premier League. The Bianconeri could sell the former Arsenal man for €10 million.
Szczesny speculation could be agent-driven for new deal
United appear open to pursuing a new shot-stopper this summer, but it is unlikely that they will consider an approach for Szczesny, who is a year older than De Gea.
The Poland international has better statistics than De Gea when it comes to passing accuracy and long balls, but he is far away from being a modern goalkeeper.
Neither De Gea nor Szczesny are good in coming off their lines. In short, Szczesny would not be an upgrade for the Red Devils ahead of the 2023/24 season.
In our opinion, the speculation could be agent-driven such that Juventus reward him with a new contract beyond June 2025. This could help him see out of his career.
If United are looking for a new number one, they should prioritise a deal for Costa. The 23-year-old is strong with his reflexes, and is good in intercepting crosses.
The Portuguese is also comfortable with the ball at his feet. However, he won’t come on the cheap with Porto reluctant to sell him for less than his €75m release clause.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Datamb.football
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd