Manchester United appear keen to bring in a centre-back this summer.
We were in the same situation last season but Jose Mourinho failed to bring any of our targets to Old Trafford.
One player we were strongly linked to last summer was Leicester City and England centre-back Harry Maguire. The 26-year-old continues to be linked to us this summer but so far no deal has been agreed.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the Manchester United hierarchy may be giving up on the chase for Maguire as reports from France claim we are lining up a move for £31.5 million-rated AS Monaco defender Benoit Badiashile as a cheaper option. That’s according to L’Equipe (via the Daily Mail).
So far this summer we have signed winger Daniel James from Swansea City and right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace. More arrivals are expected to happen between now and the start of the 2019-20 Premier League season in four weeks’ time.
The boss certainly appears keen to tighten our defence which considered 54 goals last season – the most in the Premier League since it was rebranded in 1992. With a move for Harry Maguire seemingly being difficult to agree with Leicester, Badiashile could be the alternative.Though the Daily Mail does claim that we are still in discussions with the Foxes for our first choice target.
Benoit Badiashile is only 18 years old but broke into the Monaco first team last season during a very disappointing campaign that saw them narrowly avoid relegation. He made 20 league starts. L’Equipe report that the Ligue 1 side rate the teenager at €35 million (£31.5m) and that both Valencia and Wolverhampton Wanderers are also interested in the French Under-19 international.
He stands at an imposing 6’4″ and is comfortable in possession of the ball.
Currently, Solskjaer has Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo as options in the middle of our defence.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd