Manchester United have been linked with the signing of a number of top central midfielders in recent weeks.
One player who has been linked to for a while is Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.
The 6’4″ midfielder has been a star for the Rome-based outfit this season who are putting together a surprise challenge for Champions League football next season.
Lazio currently sit third in Serie A, two points ahead of rivals AS Roma who are currently in action versus AC Milan, and one point ahead of Internazionale, whilst Napoli and Juventus are running away with the lead at the top.
According to the Mirror, who state that we are eyeing up an £80 million bid for 22-year-old, we sent scouts out to the Italian capital on Thursday for Lazio’s Europa League tie with Steaua Bucharest to check in on the Serbian international. However, he was an unused substitute.
With Michael Carrick expected to retire at the end of the season and with Marouane Fellaini yet to put pen to paper on a new contract, with his current deal due to expire in the summer, we will be needing to purchase a player or two in this position.
Milinkovic-Savic is one of a few top central midfielders strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford in recent weeks, as well as Napoli’s Jorginho and Nice’s Jean Michael Seri.
The Lazio midfielder moved to Italy from Genk in 2015 and has been excellent for the club over the past two-and-a-half seasons as a regular in the first team. Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has a very impressive nine goals in his 24 Serie A appearances this season, as well as two assists. He’s also scored twice in five Europa League appearances (2 starts) for Simone Inzaghi’s side.
Milinkovic-Savic is good at defending in midfield and is a good aerial threat from open play and set pieces. He has a powerful long-range shot on him also. Given that he only turns 23 on Tuesday and with the money currently in the Premier League, £80 million wouldn’t be a ridiculous fee to pay for such a quality and powerful player.
Jose Mourinho has gone with a 4-3-3 formation on several occasions since the signing of Alexis Sanchez in January so another top player or two in this central midfield role before the start of next season will likely be one of the boss’ top priorities over the summer.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday