Wayne Rooney has become the latest Manchester United legend to be inducted into the Premier League Hall of Fame.
The England international had a superb career with the Red Devils, winning five Premier League titles alongside the prestigious Champions League crown in 2008.
In his 13-year career, he amassed 253 goals from 559 games, 183 of those coming in the Premier League from 393 matches.
Either side of his United stint, Rooney spent time with Everton. The England star ended with 208 Premier League goals to his name.
This stands as the second-highest goal tally in the Premier League behind only Alan Shearer, who was one of the inaugural Hall of Fame inductees alongside Thierry Henry.
Meanwhile, his assist tally of 103 stands behind only two players. United fans were eager for his induction, and it has now been formally confirmed by the Premier League.
Following his induction, Rooney said: “It’s a huge honour for me to be named in the Premier League Hall of Fame, alongside an incredible group of players who have already been inducted.”
“Growing up, I watched the Premier League as far back as I can remember. My dream was always to become a professional footballer, score goals and win trophies, and I was lucky enough to win the Premier League five times.
“I have so many brilliant memories from my years playing for Everton and Manchester United, and I’m really proud of what we achieved. To enter the Hall of Fame is very special for me personally and I’m grateful to be recognised.”
Rooney has become the fourth Manchester United legend to enter Hall of Fame after Eric Cantona, Roy Keane and David Beckham.
The Hall of Fame will consist of 16 players. Rooney and Patrick Vieira have become the ninth and tenth entries. Six more will be selected through public voting today from a list of 25 former players.
Stats from Premierleague.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars