Manchester United legend Roy Keane has slammed Harry Maguire after he cupped his ears while celebrating England’s opening goal against Albania on Friday night.
The Three Lions registered a comfortable 5-0 win over Albania in the World Cup qualifier at Wembley Stadium. Maguire opened the scoring with a header in the ninth minute.
Following the goal, Maguire cupped his ears in celebration. Keane was not impressed one bit and dubbed it as ’embarrassing’.
He added that the centre-back has been a ‘disgrace’ for United in recent months.
He told ITV Football: “When a player scores puts his hands to his ears he’s like shutting the critics up.
“That’s embarrassing, he’s been a disgrace the last few months for Man Utd.”
After the game, Maguire clarified that the celebration was not directed at anyone, but acknowledged that he will be criticised when United are not doing well, being the captain.
He said: “I am the Manchester United captain, of course I’m going to get criticism when the team isn’t doing well but the celebration wasn’t directed at anyone.”
Maguire has had a disappointing couple of months with United. His performances have been average, and he made positional errors costing United multiple goals.
Despite this, he has continued to remain a regular starter when available for selection.
As the captain, he is considered an undisputed choice in defence by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
There has been some fan criticism towards him in recent months, but his England form has nothing to do with it. His goal celebration last night was quite surprising.
Maguire has barely scored with his head for United since his arrival two years ago. The club’s faithful would definitely appreciate it if he could make a similar impact at club level.
More than his goal contributions, his defensive showing has been the prime concern.
The 28-year-old needs to step up for the club to go on a winning run after the international break.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal