Manchester United defender Alex Telles is prioritising a return to Porto this summer, according to Portuguese publication O Jogo (page 2).
The Brazil international fell out-of-favour with the Red Devils last summer after the arrival of Tyrell Malacia from Feyenoord.
He was subsequently loaned out to Sevilla for a season, but the La Liga outfit have opted against signing him permanently.
It is now reported that Telles ‘wishes to return’ to Porto where he was hugely successful over four years.
However, a transfer may depend on Porto offloading one of Zaidu Sanusi or Wendell to make room for the 30-year-old.
Meanwhile, an update from Record (page 10) suggests that Porto are planning to keep goalkeeper Diogo Costa next season.
The 23-year-old signed a new contract last year with a €75m (£64m) release clause which has not been triggered by any interested clubs.
United have been monitoring him closely for some period of time, but they are ‘hesitant’ and are looking at alternative options.
Porto desperately need €50m (£43m) to balance their books by June 30, but are unwilling to lose Costa for a discounted figure.
Man Utd have a busy summer ahead
United have a busy summer ahead and part of the focus could be on recouping funds from player sales.
Erik ten Hag currently has a upfront budget of £120m, and this is unlikely to change regardless of a takeover being completed.
Hence, the Dutch tactician will be eager to part ways with fringe players. Telles is one of those that could head for the exit door soon.
Telles is currently valued at €7.5m (£6.4m) by Transfermarkt, but we won’t be surprised if United sell him for a much lesser fee to Porto.
Apart from Telles, Eric Bailly, Anthony Elanga, Harry Maguire and Fred are among candidates that could be sold in the coming weeks.
Meanwhile, United could be forced to enter the transfer market for a new goalkeeper with David de Gea reluctant to accept a pay-cut.
The Spaniard could leave as a free agent when his contract expires at the end of June. He is currently on the radar of Saudi Arabian clubs.
The Red Devils have been tracking Costa for a while, but it appears they are prioritising the transfer of Andre Onana from Inter Milan.
Yesterday, his agent held a ‘direct meeting‘ with United. Inter are prepared to sell the 27-year-old for €50m (£43m) plus add-ons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action