Manchester United are considered front-runners to sign PSV Eindhoven forward Cody Gakpo when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
The Red Devils were heavily interested in signing the Netherlands star in the summer, but ended up prioritising the transfer of Antony from Ajax for €100 million.
Gakpo has since confirmed that he had spoken with manager Erik ten Hag over a move and Calciomercato claim that United are still leading the hunt for the Dutchman.
The Red Devils are aware that Gakpo won’t be available for less than €45-50m in January. They could face competition from the likes of AC Milan and Liverpool for the 23-year-old.
Gakpo would be a superb acquisition for Man Utd
In the summer, there were suggestions that United could pursue deals for both Gakpo and Antony, but the huge price tag for the latter meant that they could sign just one player.
Gakpo has since talked up the prospect of joining United in future, and the hierarchy should step up their interest in January amid competition from the likes of Milan and Liverpool.
Jurgen Klopp’s side spent big to land Luis Diaz from Porto during the 2022 winter transfer window. It won’t come as a surprise if the Merseyside club make an approach for Gakpo.
The attacker has been in sensational form for PSV this term with 13 goals and 17 assists from 24 outings. He recently opened the scoring for Netherlands against Senegal at the World Cup.
Gakpo is currently in the form of his life and there could be more interest in his services in January if he can take Netherlands all the way or on the cusp of the World Cup title in Qatar.
If Gakpo were to join United, he could make the left wing position his own thus allowing Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial to fight it out for the striker’s role after Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd should sign Youri Tielemans
- Anthony Martial could stay at Man Utd despite being ‘transfer listed’
- Thomas Zilliacus could consider buying Liverpool if Manchester United bid fails
- Man Utd could avoid signing Houssem Aouar despite journalist claim
- Newcastle United in advanced talks to sign Man Utd’s Head of Young Recruitment David Harrison
- 100% aerial duels & 100% take-ons won: Man Utd should target Amadou Onana
- Wout Weghorst opens up on life at Man Utd
- Fresh date confirmed for Man Utd’s postponed fixture, one more game rescheduled
- ‘Serious option’: Raphael Varane opens the door to retiring at Man Utd
- Man United owners will consider selling minority shares if revised bids don’t impress them