Manchester United are considered front-runners to sign PSV Eindhoven forward Cody Gakpo when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
The Red Devils were heavily interested in signing the Netherlands star in the summer, but ended up prioritising the transfer of Antony from Ajax for €100 million.
The Red Devils are aware that Gakpo won’t be available for less than €45-50m in January. They could face competition from the likes of AC Milan and Liverpool for the 23-year-old.
Gakpo would be a superb acquisition for Man Utd
In the summer, there were suggestions that United could pursue deals for both Gakpo and Antony, but the huge price tag for the latter meant that they could sign just one player.
Gakpo has since talked up the prospect of joining United in future, and the hierarchy should step up their interest in January amid competition from the likes of Milan and Liverpool.
Jurgen Klopp’s side spent big to land Luis Diaz from Porto during the 2022 winter transfer window. It won’t come as a surprise if the Merseyside club make an approach for Gakpo.
The attacker has been in sensational form for PSV this term with 13 goals and 17 assists from 24 outings. He recently opened the scoring for Netherlands against Senegal at the World Cup.
Gakpo is currently in the form of his life and there could be more interest in his services in January if he can take Netherlands all the way or on the cusp of the World Cup title in Qatar.
If Gakpo were to join United, he could make the left wing position his own thus allowing Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial to fight it out for the striker’s role after Cristiano Ronaldo’s exit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV