Manchester United head into the summer transfer window widely-expected to bring in a new centre-back.
Jose Mourinho has never appeared to be settled on his centre-back partnership in two seasons at Old Trafford now, with last summer’s big money signing, Victor Lindelof, not impressing.
The boss has never seemed too keen on Phil Jones nor Chris Smalling either, with the latter strongly linked with a move to Leicester City last summer.
Eric Bailly has been a rock when fit, but the Ivorian has struggled for fitness in both seasons since he joined from Villarreal in 2016.
Over the past few weeks we have been strongly linked with a move for Bayern Munich’s Jerome Boateng. We reported last week that the 29-year-old is ready for a new challenge away from the Allianz Arena, having won the Bundesliga title six times in his seven seasons with the German giants, as well as the 2013 Champions League.
The former-Manchester City defender is regarded as one of the top defenders in the world, though his performance versus Mexico in Germany’s 2018 World Cup opening game defeat left something to be desired.
During his previous spell in the Premier League with the Citizens, Boateng was used sparingly and mostly at right-back during the appearances he did make in 2010-11.
Positive news for us is that the Mirror are today reporting that we “will beat” Real Madrid to the signing of Jerome Boateng this summer.
The Champions League holders shouldn’t be as keen to sign a centre-back as us as they already have Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane in their starting lineup.
Transfermarkt currently value the defender at £40.5 million – though one would expect Bayern Munich to demand more from us should we make an enquiry.
Jose Mourinho is believed to have the “upper hand” in negotiations according to the report, due to Boateng’s desire to give the Premier League another go. I’d imagine we’d also be able to guarantee the German international regular first team football too…
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player