Manchester United are set to bolster their options in central midfield over the summer following the announcement that Michael Carrick will be retiring at the end of the current campaign and that Marouane Fellaini is expected to let his current contract run down.
We have been linked to a number of potential signings in this position and one of the most strongly linked is Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.
The 22-year-old is hot property around Europe after impressing over the past two seasons for the Rome club as they currently seek qualification for next season’s Champions League.
It was expected that we would be competing with runaway La Liga leaders Barcelona over the summer for the player’s signature. However, Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo are now reporting that the Serbian international is not affordable for the Catalan club.
The report states that Lazio value their star at €80 million (£70m) whilst Barcelona already have the likes of Sergio Busquets, Ivan Rakitic and Sergi Roberto as options in the middle of the park.
Milinkovic-Savic has scored 11 goals and recorded three assists in his 32 Serie A appearances (30 starts) so far this season. He is both good defensively and in attack and would make for a great partner to Nemanja Matic in our midfield.
Mundo Deportivo do state that Manchester City, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain are also interested in the 6’4″ central midfielder but that Manchester United are leading the way.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd