Manchester United are leading the pursuit of Benfica striker Goncalo Ramos due to their privileged relationship with super-agent Jorge Mendes, O Jogo report (page 10).
The Red Devils are aiming to land a new centre-forward in the summer transfer window, and they have been linked with several high-profile names over the past few weeks.
Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane was initially the top target for United, but they have decided to end their interest due to the high transfer costs for a potential move.
It was recently reported that United are ‘in the lead‘ to land Ramos, and O Jogo have today reiterated that they are front-runners to sign him alongside Paris Saint-Germain.
O Jogo claim that United and PSG have a privileged relationship with Mendes, and this should boost their chances of signing the highly-rated Portuguese centre-forward.
It is added that Benfica president Rui Costa has the guarantee of Mendes that the 21-year-old will be one of the most expensive sales in the club’s history this summer.
Ramos would be a perfect fit for Man Utd
The 21-year-old had an exceptional season for Benfica last term. He scored 27 goals and provided 12 assists from 47 appearances across all competitions.
He also made a big mark with Portugal at the World Cup. Ramos netted a stunning hat-trick alongside an assist in the 6-1 rout of Switzerland in the round of 16.
The Portuguese has clearly enhanced his reputation as a result, and United should look to swoop for his services after cooling down their interest in Kane.
Ramos may be 21, but has already developed into an all-round striker. He is tremendous with his high pressing and has also impressed with his hold-up play.
The Benfica graduate won a stunning 4.9 ground and aerial duels per game last season.
In our view, Ramos would perfectly fit into the plans of manager Erik ten Hag. He has a release clause worth €120 million, but could be available for much less.
It has been reported that the Portuguese outfit are ready to sell for €80m. For that price, United may not get a better centre-forward option in the transfer market.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns