Manchester United have fallen behind the likes of Manchester City and Real Madrid in a high-profile transfer race to sign Borussia Dortmund whizz-kid Jude Bellingham.
According to The Athletic, the 19-year-old prodigy could leave Signal Iduna Park at the end of the season, but it’ll likely require a truckload of money to convince Die Borussen to sell their prized asset.
Since Bellingham doesn’t have a release clause in his long-term contract and the Bundesliga heavyweights have no intention of renouncing his services, whoever wants to sign the Englishman will have to present a world-shattering offer to snap him up.
Dortmund’s well-documented prowess in acquiring stratospheric figures for their up-and-comers has seemingly deterred Liverpool from entering what promises to be a ferocious tug-of-war in the summer.
United witnessed the Germans’ unparalleled negotiating craft first-hand during dragged-on talks to land Jadon Sancho in 2021, as they eventually had to fork out north of £70 million to get the deal over the line.
Given Bellingham’s standout form in the Bundesliga and a collection of Europe’s big guns chasing his services, they’ll likely demand at least double that figure for the Birmingham City youth academy graduate.
Aware they lack the financial muscle to contest the likes of Man United, Man City and Madrid, Liverpool have already dropped their interest in the England international midway through the season.
However, while that would typically be a transfer boost for the Red Devils, they seem to be lagging behind the other two suitors, with Bellingham’s future now hanging between the Etihad Stadium and Santiago Bernabeu.
Despite Erik ten Hag’s desperate need for a creative midfielder amid Christian Eriksen’s injury-hit season and Fred’s uncertain future at Old Trafford, United could miss out on the Englishman’s signature.
With Man City developing into one of Europe’s most attractive destinations under Pep Guardiola and Madrid looking to revamp their ageing midfield in the summer, the Dutchman may have to look elsewhere for reinforcements.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’