Manchester United are considering a move for RB Leipzig defender Nordi Mukiele after the recommendation of interim boss Ralf Rangnick, The Mirror (today’s edition, page 51) reports.
The Red Devils have experienced a disappointing campaign thus far, and they are currently in a fierce battle for the top four with West Ham United, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur.
The attacking department has been misfiring over the past month, but there have also been underlying concerns in the defensive department. The Red Devils have squandered first-half leads on four occasions this year.
The hierarchy may look at reinforcing the backline during the summer. A new right-back could be prioritised. Mukiele is said to be a target. Rangnick is an admirer, having previously managed him at Leipzig.
Rangnick has stuck mainly with Dalot at right-back since January. The Portuguese has impressed with his occasional overlapping runs but has not been solid defensively.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka has done the exact opposite, but he recently had a tough outing against Leeds United, where he was caught out of position for both goals conceded.
The Red Devils could be eyeing a new right-back who is good with both facets of the game. Mukiele has emerged on his radar, obviously with Rangnick’s former link with Leipzig.
The 24-year-old is not the best when it comes to distribution but likes to tackle opponents while playing a key part in the build-up play for Leipzig, often from right wing-back.
The Frenchman is also comfortable operating in a central defensive position. His versatility could be a potential driving factor behind any summer interest from the Red Devils.
Rangnick will step into an advisory position this summer. He may have a say on the transfer dealings, but the next permanent manager could also influence who joins the club.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra