Manchester United are keeping tabs on Lyon striker Moussa Dembele ahead of the summer transfer window, a report from Daily Mail claims.
The Frenchman has experienced an injury-plagued campaign with Lyon, but has still impressed with nine goals and three assists from 22 outings.
It is now reported that United are monitoring him, with Edinson Cavani widely expected to leave the club at the end of the season.
Dembele is currently reluctant to extend his Lyon contract beyond June 2023. He could be available for £25 million over the summer.
Dembele had a difficult 2020/21 campaign. The 25-year-old netted just one goals from 23 appearances for Lyon and Atletico Madrid (on loan).
This season, he has missed two months with a fractured fibula, but has been in a good run of form on either side of his injury setback.
He has bagged five goals and two assists since January. His performances may have caught the eye of United, who are long-term admirers.
With a reasonable price tag, United could be tempted to make an approach, but the question lies whether he can transform the club’s attack.
Dembele has made a goal contribution in every other game for Lyon, but had a dismal loan spell at Atletico, where he hardly made an impact.
He was restricted to just 140 minutes across seven appearances in all competitions last season. He could not find the back of the net.
Hence, United could be better off pursuing a more high-profile striker, who has a better scoring record than the former Fulham graduate.
Dembele would be a decent signing based on his time at Lyon, but does not seem to have the profile to be considered a first-choice striker.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars