Manchester United are exploring the possibility of signing RB Leipzig midfielder Christopher Nkunku this summer, ESPN’s Mark Ogden reports.
The Red Devils have endured an average Premier League campaign by their high standards, and are currently languishing in the fifth spot.
The club face a tough battle to make the top four but, regardless of this, they are likely to go on a spending spree at the end of the campaign.
It is now reported that the club’s scouts have been told to monitor the progress of Nkunku ahead of a summer approach for his services.
The Frenchman has emerged on the Red Devils radar due to interim boss Ralf Rangnick, who previously recruited him from Paris Saint-Germain.
Rangnick was the sporting director of the Bundesliga outfit when Nkunku was signed in 2019. The German is now keen on luring him to Old Trafford.
Nkunku started his career as a central midfielder, but he has been transformed at Leipzig, playing in the number 10 role or the wide attacking positions.
His form has been simply excellent this term with 19 goals and 13 assists from just 31 appearances, and he is unlikely to be short of interest at the end of the season.
United are prioritising a new defensive midfielder this summer, but may also pursue a creative midfielder with Paul Pogba likely to leave when his contract expires in June.
Nkunku would be a quality replacement for the World Cup winner. He can also play in a more defensive role for the Red Devils from his experience at Parc des Princes.
The Frenchman is presently valued at £49.5 million by Transfermarkt, but United have a tough job on their hands to lure him during the next transfer window.
Leipzig sporting director Oliver Mintzlaff has insisted that the club will keep him next season.
It could take a significant bid to test their resolve. His contract does not expire until June 2024.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars