Manchester United have a fervent need to sign a striker this summer when Wout Weghorst’s loan ends, but Erik ten Hag also recognises the importance of bringing in a midfielder.
Scott McTominay and Donny van de Beek are out of favour and need upgrading, so United are aiming big.
Jude Bellingham is one of the best young players in Europe and Borussia Dortmund are open to selling him for the right price, and Jason Burt of the Telegraph claims United are finally registering an interest.
The 19-year-old has interest from Manchester City, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Chelsea, but his £110 million asking price may prove a stumbling block.
Burt says Ten Hag understands he ‘will have to sell’ to raise enough money for Bellingham if United also sign a striker as expected.
Bellingham joined Dortmund three years ago and has made 123 appearances in all competitions, contributing 44 goals.
The England international is already one of the best midfielders in the continent, so it’s no wonder United want to sign him. But with Bellingham keen on a Liverpool move, coupled with the lofty valuation, United aren’t leading the race for his signature.
Casemiro is one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe and Bruno Fernandes is one of the best playmakers, so adding Bellingham to the engine room would make United a frightening proposition next season.
Ten Hag would have to break the Red Devils’ transfer record to bring Bellingham to Old Trafford while also finding money to sign a stellar centre-forward.
New owners may completely change the equation, especially if the debt is wiped off United’s books to free up finances and allow the club to spend more.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March
- Changes made to Owners’ and Directors’ Test could affect Man United takeover