Manchester United have joined Liverpool in the race to sign Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia this summer, according to The Times.
The Red Devils recently agreed to sign Mason Mount from Chelsea. The Englishman should provide more creativity from the number eight role.
It is now claimed that United are interested in landing Lavia, who is expected to leave the Saints following their relegation from the top-flight.
Aside from the Red Devils, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are also keen on securing the services of the former Manchester City graduate.
The Saints value the 19-year-old at £50 million after his impressive debut campaign.
Lavia would be a perfect understudy to Casemiro
Casemiro joined United from Real Madrid for £70m last summer. He had a brilliant maiden season where he impressed defensively and offensively.
The Brazilian is clearly a favourite among the fans, and he should be an undisputed starter from the defensive midfield position next term.
However, United still need more quality behind him. There was a drop in the performance levels last season when the 31-year-old was suspended.
The likes of Scott McTominay and Fred have been highly inconsistent, and the Red Devils need another specialist number six ahead of next season.
Lavia would be a fantastic acquisition for the club. He is only 19 and could be a regular deputy to Casemiro before replacing him in the long term.
Last season, the teenager had a passing accuracy of 86 per cent in the Premier League. He won a stunning 2.1 tackles and 4.9 duels per game.
Lavia also had good ball control, losing possession on just seven occasions per appearance. Casemiro was dispossessed 13 times per league outing.
In our view, the Belgian starlet has all the traits to become a world-class midfielder in future. United must swoop for his services ahead of their rivals.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions