Manchester United have joined Arsenal in the pursuit of Shakhtar Donetsk winger Mykhaylo Mudryk, according to The Sun.
The Red Devils spent £220 million during the summer transfer window and the majority of the signings have played a huge role in the Premier League campaign.
Lisandro Martinez and Christian Eriksen have been almost ever-present figures in the line-up while Casemiro, Antony and Tyrell Malacia have also made key contributions.
It is now reported that the club are keeping tabs on Mudryk, who is also on the radar of the Gunners. United have had scouts monitoring him for a significant period of time.
Manager Erik ten Hag is said to be an admirer of the winger from his Ajax days but The Sun claim that United are unlikely to meet the substantial demands of Shakhtar in January.
United unlikely to spend big on Mudryk
Mudryk has been a revelation for Shakhtar this season with eight goals and eight assists from 16 outings. Five of those contributions were in the Champions League group stage.
The 21-year-old is capable of playing on either wing but it is quite clear from his performances that he prefers the left flank. He has scored just one goal in his career from the right.
The left wing is a position which United need to bolster at some point, but there is no urgency with the likes of Marcus Rashford and Alejandro Garnacho excelling from the role.
Meanwhile, we also don’t see the club meeting Shakhtar’s £60-65 million valuation for Mudryk. Any significant spending could be put on hold until the end of the campaign.
There is a high possibility that the Portuguese’s contract could be terminated soon. A right-back could also be prioritised this winter if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves the club.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January