Manchester United have joined Arsenal and Chelsea in the race to sign Barcelona forward Memphis Depay this summer, Spanish publication Sport claim.
The Red Devils are currently in the process of terminating Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract following his explosive interview with Piers Morgan where he was critical over Erik ten Hag and the Glazers.
The club may want a low-cost replacement for the Portuguese this winter and Sport claim that United are assessing Depay’s situation ahead of a possible move.
The 28-year-old has had an injury-plagued campaign at Barcelona, but has recovered in time for the World Cup. He may have played his final game for the club.
United alongside Arsenal and Chelsea have been informed by Depay’s representatives that he would be free to leave the Catalan giants at the turn of the year.
Depay would be a quality acquisition for Man Utd
Earlier today, we covered an opinion on Depay’s possible move to Old Trafford. Sport has now reported that the club are weighing up a January approach.
The Dutchman’s current deal at Camp Nou expires in June 2023 and any interested club could sign him for a knockdown price. He could be available for just £5 million.
In our view, Depay would be a quality acquisition for the Red Devils as he can provide good competition in both the left wing and centre-forward positions.
The £175,000-a-week star has been troubled by injuries this year but when fit and firing, Depay can be a very useful attacking option for manager Ten Hag.
The former United man has a goal involvement in every 164 minutes in his Barcelona career. That’s quite impressive, considering he has been in-and-out of the line-up.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Man Utd should sign Youri Tielemans
- Anthony Martial could stay at Man Utd despite being ‘transfer listed’
- Thomas Zilliacus could consider buying Liverpool if Manchester United bid fails
- Man Utd could avoid signing Houssem Aouar despite journalist claim
- Newcastle United in advanced talks to sign Man Utd’s Head of Young Recruitment David Harrison
- 100% aerial duels & 100% take-ons won: Man Utd should target Amadou Onana
- Wout Weghorst opens up on life at Man Utd
- Fresh date confirmed for Man Utd’s postponed fixture, one more game rescheduled
- ‘Serious option’: Raphael Varane opens the door to retiring at Man Utd
- Man United owners will consider selling minority shares if revised bids don’t impress them