Manchester United are interested in signing RB Leipzig midfielder Christopher Nkunku during this summer’s transfer window, French outlet Foot Mercato claims.
The Red Devils are on the verge of announcing Erik ten Hag as their new manager. Judging by the Dutchman’s experience, the focus could lie on pursuing quality young recruits.
Nkunku is apparently one of those, who has been on United’s radar this year. It has been reported that interim boss Ralf Rangnick has personally recommended the player to United.
According to Foot Mercato, the Red Devils are now in the running to sign Nkunku this summer, but former club Paris Saint-Germain are deemed to be favourites to secure his services.
Les Parisiens are looking to keep Kylian Mbappe beyond the summer, and believe Nkunku’s arrival could convince him. The duo are understood to share a good bond off the playing field.
Nkunku has had an exceptional campaign for Leipzig, bagging 27 goals and 17 assists from 40 appearances across all competitions.
His statistics are among the best in Europe at the moment, and the German club face a big battle on their hands to keep him next term.
With just over two years left on his contract, Leipzig have the opportunity to cash in on him. They will have the power to negotiate a premium fee.
It has been reported that he may cost upwards of £58.5 million, but that is hardly a stumbling block for the likes of United and Paris Saint-Germain.
The Red Devils will be keen to integrate the player into their ranks, but face a big hurdle in convincing him, particularly with Les Parisiens interested.
Nkunku may prefer to return to the club where he started his career. On top of this, he gets to play in the Champions League for the French giants.
United are definitely not out of the radar for the player, but finishing in the top four could be an essential requirement if they want to pursue him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin