Manchester United could compete with Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur to sign Leicester City midfielder James Maddison this summer, The Telegraph report.
The 26-year-old has been a key player for the Foxes from the attacking midfield role. This season, he has contributed nine goals and seven assists from 25 league appearances.
It is now reported that the Foxes are expected to part ways with the England international regardless of their league status at the end of the campaign.
Maddison is set to enter the final year of his deal in July and it is claimed that the Foxes will demand between £45 million-60 million for his services.
United are one of the clubs interested in landing his signature. Newcastle and Spurs are also mentioned as contenders to sign the former Norwich City ace.
Maddison would be a quality acquisition
Bruno Fernandes has been an undisputed starter for United from the number 10 role. He has had another brilliant campaign under manager Erik ten Hag.
Since the World Cup, the Portuguese has been consistent with his goal contributions and he is unlikely to be displaced from the starting line-up anytime soon.
Despite this, United could bring in Maddison. The Englishman is primarily an attacking midfielder but has also played from the number eight position in the past.
In our view, Fernandes could play in a deeper midfield role where he has impressed lately. This would allow Maddison to start in his preferred number 10 spot.
At the price mentioned, Maddison would be a bargain signing for United in today’s transfer market.
He is just in the prime of his playing career and would add more creativity from midfield. Maddison would require no time to adapt with his vast league experience.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns