Manchester United are looking at the possibility of signing Napoli winger Hirving Lozano, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.
The Red Devils are aiming to bolster their attack before the transfer deadline, and it has been reported that a versatile forward is one of their priorities.
A fresh bid of around €80 million was made for Antony earlier this week, but it appears Ajax won’t sell him for less than the reported €100m price tag.
United could yet pay over the odds for Antony this summer, but there is also the possibility that the club’s hierarchy may turn to a cheaper alternative.
PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo has been linked lately, but Di Marzio claims that the Red Devils are now interested in landing Lozano from Napoli.
The Serie A outfit consider the Mexican as a key player in Luciano Spalletti’s plans, and it would take an ‘important offer’ to part ways with the winger.
United should look at better options than Lozano
Lozano has been with Napoli since the summer of 2019. He was impressive in 2020/21 with 15 goals and five assists from 42 games, but last season was frustrating for him.
The 27-year-old registered just six goals and six assists from 37 outings, and was largely in-and-out of the line-up. Hence, United could be better off looking elsewhere.
Lozano’s statistics are not overly impressive in a tactical league in Serie A, and he could struggle when it comes to adapting to a higher intensity in the Premier League.
He is currently valued at €30m by Transfermarkt. Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis is known for holding out for hefty fees and it may take a significant offer to land him.
This could easily be in the region of €50m. For a similar sum, United can prise away 23-year-old Gakpo, who will have slightly more time to adapt to the league at his age.
The Dutchman managed a stunning 36 goal contributions for PSV last campaign. He faces a much difficult challenge in England, but seems a better fit over Lozano.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m