Manchester United are interested in signing Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat who is holding out for a move to Barcelona, Mundo Deportivo claim.
The Red Devils are expected to confirm the signing of Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount this week, but manager Erik ten Hag is open to pursuing another midfielder.
Amrabat has been linked with the club in recent weeks, and Mundo Deportivo claim that United have an interest in securing his signature this summer.
The club have yet to make a formal approach, but the Spanish publication report that Amrabat could turn them down due to his preference for Barcelona.
The 26-year-old was on the radar of the Catalan giants in the January transfer window. He is reportedly confident that a bid will arrive from the La Liga holders.
Do Man Utd require a defensive midfielder?
Casemiro is currently the undisputed choice in the number six role for United. In his absence, the likes of Scott McTominay and Fred have played in the position.
Fred appears on his way out of the club amid interest from Fulham, but there is a high possibility that McTominay could stay for another campaign at least.
The Scot is the youngest senior midfielder in the squad, and he is also a home-grown player.
He currently has two years left on his contract with the option for another 12 months. Barring a serious offer, we believe McTominay may not head out of the club.
Therefore, we don’t see United making a move for Amrabat. The Moroccan would be a good upgrade on McTominay with his precise passing and high work rate.
However, the €30 million-rated star may not join the club to play second fiddle to Casemiro.
He will want guaranteed minutes in the prime of his career. He could get that at Barcelona, who have a void to fill in midfield after the free transfer of Sergio Busquets.
Amrabat’s preference for Barcelona does not surprise us, given Spain’s close proximity to Morocco. He could be keen on moving to La Liga due to family reasons too.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin