Manchester United are interested in signing West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice, who is also on the radar of Arsenal and Newcastle United, according to The Athletic.
The England international is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League and he is expected to pursue a new challenge at the end of the campaign.
He currently has one year left on his Hammers deal with an option for 12 months and the east London outfit are likely to cash in on him this summer.
It is now reported by The Athletic that the Hammers have identified Matteo Guendouzi as a potential replacement for Rice in the next transfer window.
The same outlet claim that Manchester United, Arsenal and Newcastle are interested in signing the 24-year-old.
Rice would be a fantastic signing for Man Utd
Rice has developed into one of the most sought-after midfielders in the English top-flight.
This season, he has completed 88 per cent of his passes while winning 2.3 tackles and 4.6 duels per game.
Meanwhile, he has also made eight goal contributions – five of those have come after the World Cup.
Hence, he is enjoying the best phase of his career and could now look for a bigger challenge elsewhere.
Rice is predominantly a defensive midfielder but he can also operate from the number eight position.
He showed that yesterday against United where he dribbled his way into the box on a few occasions.
Hence, the £70 million-rated star would be a brilliant signing for any top Premier League outfit.
Whether United will manage to sign him ahead of Arsenal or Newcastle is left to be seen.
Champions League qualification could be a big factor in luring the England international this summer.
The other question would be whether the Red Devils will make such a huge outlay on a midfielder.
As things stand, a marquee striker should be the top most priority for manager Erik ten Hag.
This could easily cost £100 million and funds could be limited for other purchases without a takeover.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December