Manchester United have joined Manchester City in the race to sign Bayern Munich defender Benjamin Pavard this summer, according to German outlet Sport1.
The France international has entered the final year of his contract with the Bundesliga champions, and he has informed the decision to pursue a new challenge.
Bayern are looking for at least €30 million to consider his departure, but they have yet to receive an official offer on the table for the 2018 World Cup winner.
Sport1 report that United are interested in signing the versatile defender alongside Manchester City. Juventus are also keeping tabs on his proceedings.
The European trio are already in contact with the player’s management.
United may not sign Pavard unless Harry Maguire leaves
The Red Devils currently have Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez as the first-choice centre-backs.
Victor Lindelof is the immediate back-up option. Left-back Luke Shaw has also played in the left centre-back position when Martinez has been rested or unavailable.
As a result, Harry Maguire is the more likelier candidate to head for the exit door if United consider spending on Pavard between now and the end of the window.
Maguire has recently been linked with a loan move to the Italian top-flight. Napoli, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Roma and Juventus are said to be interested in signing him.
West Ham United have also been credited with an interest. It remains to be seen whether Maguire will leave the club. His huge wages are a stumbling block for suitors.
Pavard would be a quality upgrade on Maguire. He had a passing accuracy of 90 per cent last term despite playing half of his matches from the right-back spot.
He won an average of 2.3 tackles and five duels per game, making 2.5 clearances. At 27, he is in the prime of his career, and would be a good acquisition for United.
Pavard has largely featured from the right-back position for Bayern, but he has been vocal about his desire to play from his normal position at the heart of the defence.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action