Manchester United are interested in signing Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana during this summer’s transfer window, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 15).
The Red Devils currently have David de Gea as the undisputed number one but manager Erik ten Hag recently said that he cannot guarantee the Spaniard’s position next season.
The Dutch tactician added that there must be competition for places and Corriere dello Sport claim that the Red Devils could compete with Chelsea to land Onana.
Onana signed for the Nerazzurri on a free transfer from Ajax last summer. The Cameroonian star has had a terrific campaign, keeping 19 clean sheets in 40 appearances.
Despite this, the Champions League finalists are open to selling him for the right price. It is reported that a fee of €40-50 million could persuade them to sell their goalkeeper.
The Nerazzurri have already identified Empoli’s Guglielmo Vicario as a potential replacement for Onana.
Man Utd could have upper hand in Onana pursuit
Onana worked under Ten Hag for four-and-a-half seasons at Ajax. He was part of the dream team that almost reached the Champions League final in 2019.
This should provide a huge boost for United in the pursuit. Onana could be tempted to reunite with Ten Hag at Old Trafford if he is assured the starting spot.
This season, the 27-year-old has completed 79 per cent of his passes with an average of 6.1 long balls.
He has also impressed with his regular high claims and likes to operate as a sweeper-keeper for Inter.
Onana would be an upgrade on De Gea in United’s goal but the big question is whether United’s summer budget will permit them to pursue a new goalkeeper.
With the Glazers still at the helm, Ten Hag may have to depend on player sales for additional funds.
A marquee striker, central midfielder and central defender could be the main priorities. A new goalkeeper does not appear an urgent need for the Red Devils.
With Chelsea also in the mix for Onana, United may not have much time on their hands to sign him this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return