Manchester United are interested in signing Anderlecht goalkeeper Bart Verbruggen amid the uncertainty surrounding David de Gea’s starting spot, Manchester Evening News claim.
De Gea has been United’s undisputed choice in goal for almost 12 seasons but his position has come under scrutiny after recent blunders against Sevilla and West Ham United.
The Spaniard is set to pen a new deal with a pay-cut but there are suggestions that his playing time could be reduced. United plan to phase him out of the starting line-up next term.
It is now reported by M.E.N that the Red Devils are interested in landing Verbruggen, who has established himself as Anderlecht’s number one following the World Cup last year.
Verbruggen would be a superb long-term signing
The 20-year-old was a bench warmer for Anderlecht during the first half of the campaign but since the World Cup, he has been ever-present across all competitions.
The Dutchman has caught the eye with his excellent reflexes. He has saved 75 per cent of shots on target and has not conceded a goal from outside the box thus far.
Meanwhile, he has averaged 30 accurate passes per game with nine successful long balls. Verbruggen likes to make regular high claims with his gifted aerial presence.
Aside from this, the youngster has also impressed with his ability to play as a sweeper-keeper. He has looked comfortable passing the ball from outside his own box.
In our opinion, Verbruggen would be a solid upgrade on De Gea. He should only get better with age and Football Talent Scout have likened him to Bayern Munich’s Manuel Neuer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Man Utd have their eyes on Dusan Vlahovic, Juventus open to selling him
- Man Utd interested in signing Andre Onana, Inter could sell him for €40-50m
- Erik ten Hag could unleash Alejandro Garnacho vs Man City after Antony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd’s next striker: Three stars on the radar
- FA Cup final preview: Manchester City vs Manchester United – where to watch, kick-off time, possible line-ups, form guide
- Major blow for Manchester United with Anthony Martial set to miss FA Cup final against Man City
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United