Manchester United have had an impressive campaign under manager Erik ten Hag and they are currently on course to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
The Red Devils’ hierarchy should back the Dutchman with another spending spree this summer and in our opinion, a young centre-back could be signed.
Harry Maguire is said to be considering his future at the club and his departure could pave the way for the arrival of another top-class central defender.
AC Milan’s Fikayo Tomori is reportedly on United’s transfer wishlist and in our view, he could be a good piece of business for the club this summer.
Tomori’s Premier League experience would suit Man Utd
Tomori was one of the best young defenders during his time at Chelsea but he decided to move on in January 2021 after falling out-of-favour under manager Frank Lampard.
He had a mixed start to his career with the Rossoneri but over the past 12 months, the Englishman has developed into one of the most consistent centre-backs in Serie A.
This season, the 25-year-old has completed 88% of his passes in the Italian top-flight. He has registered over two tackles and two interceptions per game while winning 70% of his duels.
Hence, there are no surprises that United are keeping tabs on him. Tomori has prior Premier League experience and could take little to no time to adapt to the intensity.
Milan are eyeing at least £44 million to sanction his sale if they miss out on the Champions League.
In the current transfer market, the valuation is quite reasonable, but United could look to lower the initial fee by including performance-based add-ons as part of the deal.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m