Manchester United are interested in signing Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa and have been regularly monitoring him, Portuguese outlet O Jogo (page 2) claim.
Costa is regarded as one of the best young shot-stoppers in world football. He is currently the fourth most valued goalkeeper at €45 million, according to Transfermarkt.
Today’s edition of O Jogo specifically mention his increasing value and they go on to confirm that the 23-year-old is on the radar of several elite clubs across Europe.
United are deemed as the main contenders to sign Costa and it is added that their scouts have been a ‘regular presence’ at the Estadio do Dragao this campaign.
Man Utd unlikely to sign Costa this summer
When United’s season started, there were huge question marks over David de Gea’s future. He made a couple of goalkeeping mistakes in the first two games.
However, the Spaniard has since redeemed himself. Barring the one mishap against Everton in the FA Cup third round, De Gea has been effective between the sticks.
The 32-year-old has made several world-class saves over the past few months, but there has also been an improvement with his distribution and mobility in the box.
De Gea has had a few nervous moments with his short passing but they have not proved costly so far.
In our opinion, United don’t need a new goalkeeper at the moment. Talks are underway with De Gea over a new deal with a pay-cut and it appears a no-brainer to keep him.
Costa is obviously a talented goalkeeper who has the potential to become world-class. However, it is not a position which United desperately need to strengthen this summer.
Instead of signing a new number one, the priority should be on the purchase of a marquee striker and a central midfielder. Victor Osimhen and Frenkie de Jong have been linked.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books