Manchester United have been credited with an interest in signing Inter Milan defender Stefan de Vrij, according to Corriere della Serra (today’s edition, page 43).
The Dutchman has been a key player at the heart of the Nerazzurri defence, but he could be on the move this summer with his contract expiring in 12 months’ time.
He has declined to accept a new deal with a possible pay-cut, and it is now reported that United are ‘interested’. The Nerazzurri have refused to ‘rule out’ his summer exit.
United have been fancied to sign a new central defender this summer. They were initially linked with Jurrien Timber, who was handed his first-team debut at Ajax by manager Erik ten Hag.
With the Red Devils aiming to bolster several other positions in the squad, they could be tempted to sign De Vrij. He has vast experience and could be a quality signing for the short term at least.
The Dutchman is strong in the air and can effectively clear his lines. He is not someone that gets into tackles, but can control proceedings with his terrific distribution from the back.
The 30-year-old completed nearly 92 per cent of his passes in Serie A last term. He would suit Ten Hag’s style of play and would offer the Red Devils more time to recruit a younger centre-back.
United could face direct competition from Chelsea in the pursuit of the 58-cap Netherlands international. There are suggestions that he could be available for just €15 million this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest