Manchester United are interested in signing former Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards, but face competition from Chelsea, The Daily Mail reports.
The Red Devils have done plenty of restructuring in the board this year. With the departure of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, John Murtough has been tasked with handling transfers.
The 51-year-old was named the club’s football director in March 2021, and he is currently working with new head coach Erik ten Hag to pursue desired targets.
Amidst this, it is reported that United are keen on landing Edwards, who will leave his Liverpool position this summer. They face competition from Chelsea.
The Blues recently parted ways with senior executive Marina Granovskaia and are prepared to appoint Edwards as the permanent sporting director of the club.
Meanwhile, a separate report from ESPN suggests that United have an interest in Edwards, but a deal is ‘unlikely’ with Murtough now head of all football operations.
Edwards was appointed as Liverpool’s sporting director in 2016. He contributed to the purchases of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Andrew Robertson for reasonable prices.
His judgement of signings were hailed by the Liverpool faithful, and there are no surprises that he is on high demand following his decision to leave the Reds at the end of last season.
United are being linked with his services, but a deal seems unlikely. The club have planned for the summer with Murtough being at the helm of affairs, and are expected to trust him.
If the 42-year-old arrives, there could be a split in duties which certainly won’t happen for now. Meanwhile, Liverpool’s fierce rivalry with United could also put Edwards off from joining the club.
Hence, Chelsea could be in the driving seat to land the transfer expert. Monaco and Ajax have also been linked with him, but it is reported that a move to the Blues would hold ‘great appeal’.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest