Manchester United are interested in signing former Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards, but face competition from Chelsea, The Daily Mail reports.
The Red Devils have done plenty of restructuring in the board this year. With the departure of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, John Murtough has been tasked with handling transfers.
The 51-year-old was named the club’s football director in March 2021, and he is currently working with new head coach Erik ten Hag to pursue desired targets.
Amidst this, it is reported that United are keen on landing Edwards, who will leave his Liverpool position this summer. They face competition from Chelsea.
The Blues recently parted ways with senior executive Marina Granovskaia and are prepared to appoint Edwards as the permanent sporting director of the club.
Meanwhile, a separate report from ESPN suggests that United have an interest in Edwards, but a deal is ‘unlikely’ with Murtough now head of all football operations.
Edwards was appointed as Liverpool’s sporting director in 2016. He contributed to the purchases of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Andrew Robertson for reasonable prices.
His judgement of signings were hailed by the Liverpool faithful, and there are no surprises that he is on high demand following his decision to leave the Reds at the end of last season.
United are being linked with his services, but a deal seems unlikely. The club have planned for the summer with Murtough being at the helm of affairs, and are expected to trust him.
If the 42-year-old arrives, there could be a split in duties which certainly won’t happen for now. Meanwhile, Liverpool’s fierce rivalry with United could also put Edwards off from joining the club.
Hence, Chelsea could be in the driving seat to land the transfer expert. Monaco and Ajax have also been linked with him, but it is reported that a move to the Blues would hold ‘great appeal’.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He makes my game easier’ – Bruno Fernandes full of praise for Eriksen
- Diogo Dalot hoping for a new Man United contract with Europe’s elite clubs eyeing up transfer
- Manchester United midfielder gives verdict on Ronaldo’s performance after Portugal’s 1-0 defeat
- Ben Foster advises Jude Bellingham to join Manchester United
- Manchester United: Shaw and Ferdinand back Maguire after England horror show
- Cody Gakpo’s form could reignite interest from Manchester United in January
- Tyrell Malacia stars against Belgium to cement Manchester United place ahead of Shaw
- Michael Carrick praises Manchester United’s summer signing Christian Eriksen
- Manchester United should move on from Cristiano Ronaldo in January
- Manchester United should be half-owned by ‘real fans’, says Eric Cantona