Manchester United have made initial contact with Napoli over a possible summer deal for Victor Osimhen, Corriere dello Sport (today’s edition, page 21 claims).
The Red Devils are set for a big squad rebuild ahead of next season, having already experienced their worst-ever campaign in the Premier League era.
Incoming boss Erik ten Hag will be backed with transfer funds, and one of the prime priorities could be the purchase of a quality young striker.
Osimhen’s name has been linked with United for sometime, and Corriere dello Sport claims United have now made an enquiry over the fee.
Napoli have reportedly quoted a €110 million (£94m) price tag, but the Serie A outfit could be willing to negotiate on the final transfer figure.
Osimhen has had a productive second season in Naples despite missing two months with a cheekbone fracture. He has bagged 17 goals and six assists from 30 appearances.
While the statistics are more than decent, United should still be wary of making such a huge outlay on the 23-year-old, who has not netted more than 13 league goals in a single campaign.
The Nigerian star definitely has potential with his strong aerial prowess and finishing ability, but has not done enough in Serie A over the past one-and-a-half seasons.
We have seen Romelu Lukaku net 24 goals in the Italian top-flight last term, only to struggle on his return to England. The Belgian has just seven league goals for Chelsea.
Hence, United could be better off looking elsewhere. Benfica’s Darwin Nunez could be a more suitable addition. He has netted a staggering 34 goals for his club.
Liga NOS is less competitive than Serie A, but Nunez has proved himself at the big stage with Champions League goals against Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Liverpool.
It could take a similar transfer fee to prise him away from the Portuguese giants, but could be a better choice over Osimhen, who does not seem to justify the price tag.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars