Manchester United are among the clubs interested in signing Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni this summer, Spanish publication AS (today’s edition, page 9) claims.
The Red Devils are eyeing a new defensive midfielder this summer, and they have already been linked with multiple players from the Premier League.
It is now reported that they are in the mix to pursue Tchouameni, who is widely regarded as one of the best holding midfielders in the French top-flight.
The 22-year-old has just over two years remaining on his current contract, but the Principality outfit are reluctant to accept anything less than €70 million (£58.6m).
Chelsea, Juventus and Real Madrid have also been linked. Carlo Ancelotti’s side are unlikely to pursue his signature unless the fee is lowered to €50-60m.
Tchouameni had his breakthrough campaign at Monaco last term, and has carried on his fine form this season, making 47 appearances across all competitions.
The Frenchman has been an ever-present figure from the holding midfield role. He has averaged an impressive 2.5 tackles and 2.8 interceptions per game in Ligue 1.
Tchouameni has likewise excelled with his distribution, completing 87 per cent of his passes. He has also been aerially dominant, winning more than two duels per game.
Judging by his all-round defensive attributes, there are no surprises that he is attracting high-profile interest. United are in the mix, but will need to pay a premium fee.
They have the perfect opportunity to prise him away. Madrid are not looking for a new defensive midfielder at a big price after the signing of Eduardo Camavinga last year.
Chelsea are yet to plan for the summer as they are still in the progress of a takeover. Juventus, on the other hand, may need to offload players first before making a huge outlay.
It has been reported that Ten Hag could be offered as much as €250 million (£209m) to spend on new recruits. A defensive midfielder should be the prime priority ahead of next season.
Tchouameni would be a N’Golo Kante like signing in the centre of the park, but can also be an occasional goal threat. He recently scored a last-gasp headed winner for France against Ivory Coast.
There will be more interest in his services going forward. United must act at the earliest to lure him and can ill-afford to haggle over the valuation, particularly with no Champions League football.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin