Manchester United are in the race to sign Borussia Monchengladbach star Marcus Thuram on a free transfer this summer, as per Calciomercato.
The Frenchman has had a superb season for Monchengladbach, registering 13 goals and four assists from just 21 appearances in all competitions.
He is likely to leave the Bundesliga outfit when his contract expires in June and Calciomercato claim that United are one of the clubs interested.
The Red Devils, however, could face stiff competition from the Premier League with Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool also in the mix.
Thuram would be a huge bargain on a free transfer
Thuram has had an impressive season at Monchengladbach with 17 goal contributions. The Frenchman has exclusively played from the centre-forward role.
However, he is also capable of operating from the left wing. In our view, he could be seen as a potential replacement for the injury-plagued Anthony Martial.
Martial has had a difficult campaign with five separate injuries and there are suggestions that manager Erik ten Hag is prepared to sell him in the summer.
Thuram would be an impressive upgrade. He is two years younger than his compatriot while he is vastly better with his dribbling skills and ability to win duels.
His injury record is also good with no long-term injuries thus far. He has missed just 17 games in his career. Hence, he is a no-brainer signing for United.
United won’t have it easy in Thuram’s pursuit as Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool will be looking to lure him.
With Champions League football being a priority for Thuram, United’s main rivals could be the Gunners. They should still land him by offering a lucrative salary.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books