Barcelona homegrown prodigy Ansu Fati could be on his way out of La Liga in the summer, with Manchester United reportedly in the driver’s seat to capture him if extension talks come a cropper.
According to Diario SPORT, the 20-year-old’s representative Jorge Mendes has already made contact with the Red Devils to discuss the prospect of taking his client to Old Trafford.
Despite having over four years left to run on his contract at Spotify Camp Nou, the highly-rated youngster could hit the road at the end of this season after tumbling down the pecking order.
Widely considered Lionel Messi’s long-term heir at Barcelona, Fati took the coveted No 10 jersey following the Argentine’s move to Paris Saint-Germain in 2021.
But instead of establishing himself as a new leader of Xavi Hernandez’s new-look Barca squad, the super-talented Spaniard has disappeared from the stage this term.
Having spent most of the season playing second fiddle to the likes of Raphinha, Gavi and Ferran Torres, Fati seems to have had enough as he looks to change the air to get his career back on the rails.
As recently pointed out by the player’s father Bori (via Fabrizio Romano), it’s unacceptable for a player of Ansu’s talent and stature to be a benchwarmer.
Fati’s limited playing time at Barcelona has forced Mendes’ hand, with the Portuguese super agent already casting a wide net in the Premier League to secure his client a lucrative switch should he decide to leave Camp Nou.
Man United are top of the queue, while Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle United remain back-up options if talks with the Red Devils go sideways.
Erik ten Hag’s well-known affection for prodigious up-and-comers could play a pivotal role in convincing Fati to choose United, provided his father’s recent statement falls on Barcelona’s deaf ears.
Although the Dutchman’s focus is currently on extending Marcus Rashford’s contract, the Red Devils always keep a watchful eye on presentable opportunities in the transfer market.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’