Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is a firm admirer of Royal Antwerp midfielder Arthur Vermeeren, who is also on the radar of Barcelona, according to Sport (page 8).
The 18-year-old had his breakthrough campaign with Antwerp last season. He made 40 appearances for the Belgian champions, registering two goals and two assists.
He has added another couple of assists from nine games this term, and Sport claim that Ten Hag ‘really likes him’. United have been following his performances closely.
Barcelona are also keeping tabs on his progress. It is reported that the midfielder has the chance to impress manager Xavi in Tuesday’s Champions League clash.
Vermeeren is one to watch out for
The youngster had an impressive full season with Antwerp last term. He was a regular in the number six role as his club won the Belgian league title after 66 years.
Vermeeren completed 83 per cent of his passes over the entire campaign. He was solid defensively with 2.5 tackles, 1.4 clearances and 1.3 interceptions per game.
He also won more than four duels per outing. Vermeeren has a potential weakness in the air, but he should only improve as he gains more first-team experience.
The Belgian is currently working under manager Mark van Bommel, who was a fine defensive midfielder in his playing days. Hence, we are not surprised by his early development.
If United are genuinely interested in signing him, they should make an early move ahead of Barcelona, who have become a lucrative destination for young talents.
The Blaugrana are eager to sign a defensive midfielder in January, and Vermeeren could emerge as an option if he impresses Xavi in the Champions League meetings.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return