Manchester United have been linked to a whole host of central midfielders over the past couple of months ahead of the summer transfer window.
The retirement of Michael Carrick and the expected departure of Marouane Fellaini this summer leaves Jose Mourinho with only four experienced central midfielders on his books.
One player whose name has been linked with a move to Manchester United for more than a year now is AS Monaco’s versatile Brazilian, Fabinho.
We were strongly linked with the right-back-come-central midfielder last summer but the club refused to sell having had several of their stars prized away already.
Fabinho has just completed a full season in the holding midfield role at the Stade Louis II having previously spent much of his time as a right-back for the 2016-17 Ligue 1 champions.
And it would appear we’re going to back in for the 24-year-old again this summer as French journalist Mohamed Bouhafsi understands that we have opened discussions with the player’s entourage.
Manchester United est toujours dans le dossier Fabinho. Discussions avec l’entourage mais toujours pas d’offre concrète à l’AS Monaco. Manchester United qui s’est positionné aussi sur Sidibe !
— Mohamed Bouhafsi (@mohamedbouhafsi) May 25, 2018
This translates to: “Manchester United is still in the Fabinho record. Discussions with the entourage but still no concrete offer to AS Monaco. Manchester United who also positioned on Sidibe!“
It is not uncommon to discuss a deal with the player before agreeing a transfer fee with his club in this day and age.
Mohamed Bouhafsi also mentions “Sidibe” – this is Monaco’s highly-rated right-back, Djibril Sidibé, who has 16 caps for the French national team and is part of Didier Deschamps’ squad for this summer’s World Cup.
Monaco have been excellent defensively over the past two seasons which included their shock title win, and I have no doubt that signing either or both of these Ligue 1 players would be excellent business from Manchester United. How much we’d need to spend remains to be seen and whether we’re going to make an offer for either or both players has yet to be confirmed.
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return