Manchester United have made contact with the representative of AC Milan midfielder Ismael Bennacer, according to Calciomercato.
The Algerian star is about to enter the final 18 months of his contract and the Rossoneri have yet to convince him over a new long-term deal.
The club want to prolong his stay by increasing his wages from €1.5 million to €3.4 million per year, but he could be tempted to move elsewhere.
The 25-year-old recently hired Enzo Raiola as his new agent and it is claimed that both United and Chelsea have been in contact with him.
Bennacer would be a quality signing for United
The Red Devils bolstered their holding midfield department with Casemiro’s services in the summer. The Brazilian has turned out to be a superb signing.
The former Real Madrid man initially struggled to cope with the intensity of the Premier League, but managed to adapt within the space of few weeks.
Despite his success, United need more depth and competition in the ranks. Scott McTominay has been a good deputy, but he is not a genuine number six.
If Erik ten Hag is eyeing an upgrade, Bennacer would fit in perfectly. He averages nearly three tackles and one interception per game for Milan this season.
His passing stats are also hugely impressive with an 88 per cent accuracy. He could be seen as a replacement for Fred rather than McTominay.
Fred’s deal concludes at the end of the season and it is claimed that Ten Hag is open to releasing him instead of triggering a 12-month extension clause.
Bennacer, who is currently valued at €40 million by Transfermarkt, would be a solid addition to the squad but United are bound to face some competition.
Chelsea are hot on the trail of the defensive midfielder while Arsenal are also said to be admirers of the Algerian, who was formerly in their academy.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups