Manchester United are in concrete talks to sign Bayer Leverkusen defender Jeremie Frimpong this summer, according to Sky Germany journalist Marlon Irlbacher.
The Red Devils have been monitoring the Dutchman throughout the season and Florian Plettenberg recently revealed that the club have opened talks with his agent.
In a fresh update, Irlbacher has said that United are a ‘very interesting option’ for the right-back, who could be prised away for around €40 million this summer.
Leverkusen have already landed his potential successor in Arthur. The 20-year-old recently underwent his medical and he is set to join from America MG in July.
Frimpong would be a perfect fit for Erik ten Hag
The 22-year-old has played in both the right-back and right wing-back roles for Leverkusen this season and he has been hugely impressive with his displays.
The Dutchman has scored eight goals and provided nine assists from 36 outings. He has also been effective when it comes to making defensive contributions.
The former Celtic man has won a stunning 6.7 duels and 1.7 tackles per game in the Bundesliga.
In his press conference today, Ten Hag said that Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot provide the ideal balance with one being defensive and the other being more offensive.
In our opinion, Frimpong could be the perfect right-back for the manager as he can make goal contributions as well as provide the defensive assurance.
Ten Hag has reportedly given the green light for the transfer but United may want to offload a right-back first.
With Diogo Dalot in advanced contract talks, Wan-Bissaka seems more likely to leave the club this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract