Manchester United have identified Newcastle United’s Karl Darlow and Watford’s Daniel Bachmann as potential candidates to replace goalkeeper Dean Henderson, Manchester Evening News reports.
David de Gea has been the undisputed number one goalkeeper for 11 straight seasons, and it appears unlikely to change next term after a superb 2021/22 campaign.
This has led to suggestions that Henderson could push for an exit this summer. Darlow and Bachmann are now being considered as potential replacement options.
Meanwhile, United have not ruled out the possibility of making Heaton their back-up goalkeeper next term. The 36-year-old signed last summer, assuming he would be the deputy.
Henderson was a regular starter in the Premier League during the final months of the 2020/21 season, and there were suggestions that he could displace De Gea permanently.
However, nothing of that sort happened last term. The £16.2 million-rated star missed the start of the season due to Covid, and found himself playing second fiddle to De Gea throughout.
He made just three appearances over the course of the campaign. The decision was justified, considering De Gea was back to his best after a few average seasons at the club.
The Spaniard’s position came under scrutiny amid high-profile goalkeeping blunders, but he looked his old self last term, single-handedly winning several points for the Red Devils.
Hence, there are no surprises that Henderson is eyeing a new challenge, but United must first find a quality shot-stopper that can fill the void. Darlow could be a decent replacement.
He has impressed with fine saves on his day and kept out a penalty from Bruno Fernandes in a 4-1 defeat nearly two years ago. With Newcastle keen on Henderson, a part-exchange deal could be on.
Meanwhile, Heaton should be United’s back-up keeper as the last resort. He has not started a competitive game for over two years, and can’t be trusted with the deputy role behind De Gea.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest