Manchester United have identified Justin Bijlow and Kevin Trapp as cheaper alternatives to Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana this summer, according to Mirror.
The Red Devils recently expressed an interest in signing Onana from the Nerazzurri, but they are yet to make a formal offer for the highly-rated shot-stopper.
The Mirror claim that the Cameroonian star could cost around £60 million. United currently don’t have the funds after the huge outlay on Chelsea’s Mason Mount.
The club could make an approach after player sales, but they are also looking at cheaper alternatives.
Feyenoord’s Bijlow and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Trapp are on the Red Devils’ shortlist alongside Onana. They are currently valued at £20m and £10m respectively.
Bijlow should be targeted if Onana proves expensive
United currently have a credit limit of £260m for the transfer window, but they may not spend more than £100-120m without player sales due to Financial Fair Play concerns.
Hence, the Red Devils need to recoup funds from unwanted stars as soon as possible. Else, it could be a long summer and the club could lose some of their targets to rival clubs.
If United can’t afford to purchase Onana, they should consider a move for Bijlow over Trapp. The Dutchman had a big role to play in Feyenoord’s first league title since 1999.
The 25-year-old had a good passing accuracy of 78 per cent last season with four long balls. He had a save percentage of 76 while losing possession on just six occasions per game.
The Dutchman conceded only one goal from outside the box in the Eredivisie last season. In our view, he would be a good upgrade on David de Gea and could get better with age.
Bijlow is a progressive goalkeeper. He managed 14 per cent of his passes from outside the box last term.
He does not possess the long ball distribution skills of Onana, but has fared better with defensive actions.
The Feyenoord ace made eight tackles in the recent campaign, four of those from outside the box.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action