Manchester United have identified Lazio midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic as a top target amid Frenkie de Jong’s reluctance to leave Barcelona this summer, Calciomercato report.
The Red Devils recently agreed a transfer fee with the Blaugrana for De Jong, but the Netherlands international has been unwilling to finalise personal terms to join the club.
This has apparently forced United to look at alternatives, and Calciomercato highlight that they are charging again to sign Milinkovic-Savic, who has been a long-term transfer target.
Yesterday, it was claimed that his agent Mateja Kezman will present a big offer from United to Lazio, but the Serie A outfit remain firm on their €70 million (£60m) price tag for the Serbian.
There is still an acceptance from Lazio that Milinkovic-Savic could head for the exit door, considering he has less than two years left on his deal and has no plans to renew.
Milinkovic-Savic would be a stunning acquisition for United
United have spent most of the summer trying to land De Jong’s services. They have crossed the hurdle over the transfer fee, but the 25-year-old is not keen on moving to Old Trafford.
In that case, Milinkovic-Savic would be a wonderful alternative for United with his impressive all-round attributes. He can be considered as an upgrade on former star Paul Pogba.
The 27-year-old bagged an impressive 11 goals and 11 assists from 37 league outings last term. He was equally good defensively with 1.8 tackles and 0.9 interceptions per game while winning 2.8 aerial duels.
Distribution wise, he was not the best with 81.5 per cent successful passes, but Milinkovic-Savic made up for it with his ability to press opponents. He won 4.2 ground duels per appearance last season.
Hence, he can be considered as a superb alternative to De Jong, who does not provide the same level of creativity. Lazio want £60m, but United could lure him for less by including add-ons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season