Manchester United are hoping to offload Anthony Martial as they look to recoup funds for the purchase of a new attacker, The Telegraph reports.
The Frenchman has spent nearly seven years at the club, registering 79 goals and 50 assists from 269 appearances across all competitions.
Over the past 18 months, his importance in the team has waned, and it is now reported that he could head for the exit door this summer.
United are looking to reinforce their attack for next season. Martial is one of those, who is considered dispensable during the transfer window.
Martial had an impressive 2019/2020 season with United, making 35 goal contributions. He was touted to become the leader of the attack.
However, nothing of that sort has happened. His performances dipped in the following season. He has since failed to nail down a starting role.
The 26-year-old was loaned out to Sevilla in January this year with the chance to turnaround his fortunes, but the stint was hardly successful with one goal and one assist from 12 outings.
Martial’s current deal with United expires in June 2024, but there is an option for another year. The club may want to cash in, but it may not be straightforward with his hefty wage package.
He is presently one of the highest earners at £250,000-a-week, and it is unlikely that any club will meet that figure, considering his average run of form over an extended period of time.
The best solution could be another loan deal with United paying part of his wages. Martial, who cost United an overall fee of £54m from Monaco, may also prefer another temporary stint.
The attacker is likely to report for pre-season duty under manager Erik ten Hag, but his languid playing style may not suit the Dutchman, who insists on regular high pressing from his forwards.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Spotrac.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest