Manchester United are heavily scouting New England Revolution goalkeeper Djordje Petrovic, according to reputed journalist Tom Bogert.
The Red Devils currently have David de Gea as the undisputed number one goalkeeper and the Spaniard has been in stellar form this season.
Talks are already underway with him over a new contract and in our view, it could be a matter of time before he commits to a long-term deal.
Despite this, there is speculation that United could bring in another shot-stopper this summer and Petrovic seems the top target as of now.
Petrovic has been one of the top-performing goalkeepers in Major League Soccer. United are ‘heavily scouting’ him at the current point of time.
No contact has been made between the clubs for the transfer of the Serbia international.
Petrovic could be De Gea’s understudy next season
United signed Martin Dubravka on loan from Newcastle United last summer. The Slovakian played second fiddle to De Gea before he was recalled by the Magpies in January.
This forced the hierarchy to pursue another loan deal for Crystal Palace’s Jack Butland, but he has yet to make his United debut. Tom Heaton was recently picked over him.
In our opinion, United could consider Petrovic for the deputy role next term.
The 23-year-old possesses strong reflexes in goal. He completed an impressive 94 per cent of passes in his own half for New England Revolution in the 2022 regular MLS season.
United of course have the option of Dean Henderson after his loan stint at Nottingham Forest, but it is unlikely that he will be staying after his explosive interview last summer.
Henderson has made it clear that he wants to play regular first-team football and we won’t be surprised if United sanction his permanent sale during the next transfer window.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March
- Changes made to Owners’ and Directors’ Test could affect Man United takeover
- Six former Manchester United players shortlisted for induction into Premier League Hall of Fame