Manchester United have entered preliminary talks with goalkeeper David de Gea over a new deal to keep him at Old Trafford for the long-term, according to reports.
The 27-year-old’s current deal runs out at the end of next season although we have an option to extend his current contract by a further year.
De Gea is arguably the best goalkeeper in the world right now and has attracted interest from Real Madrid over the past couple of seasons. The Spaniard has won the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award for three of the past four seasons.
The Telegraph are now reporting that we are looking to tie our key player down to a long-term deal. The report says that talks are currently at a very early stage with representatives of both behalves only beginning discussions two weeks ago.
De Gea currently earns £200,000-a-week at Old Trafford and can expect a payrise on a new deal given his performances since he last signed a contract with Manchester United, and to prevent Real Madrid from renewing their interest in the player.
Manager Jose Mourinho is also expected to sign a new deal in the near future with reports suggesting it will be extended until 2021. Should both the boss and de Gea renew their contracts, and we’re able to sign Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal, it will have been a very promising month showing great long-term potential.
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday