Manchester United have a very high chance of signing Inter Milan defender Denzel Dumfries this summer if Erik ten Hag stays at the helm, according to FC Inter News.
The Netherlands international has been linked with a move to Old Trafford on several occasions. It is now claimed that United could make an approach in the summer.
Dumfries’ current deal with the Nerazzurri expires in June next year and so far, the Dutchman has shown no interest in penning a renewal due to salary differences.
Inter are reluctant to meet his demands for €5m a year and their current offer stands at around €4m.
With the abolition of Growth Decree, the Serie A giants will need to pay additional taxes on a new contract for any foreign player which has complicated things.
Meanwhile, United are one of the clubs that have expressed an interest in the right-sided defender. They could make a genuine attempt to sign him as Ten Hag admires him.
FC Inter News claim that there is a ‘very high’ chance that the Dutchman could end up at Old Trafford next season if Ten Hag continues to remain the club’s head coach.
Dumfries could replace Wan-Bissaka at United
Aaron Wan-Bissaka has had limited playing time with the Red Devils this season with Ten Hag preferring to feature Diogo Dalot at right-back due to his attacking attributes.
The 25-year-old has yet to commit to a new deal as a result. An extension clause was recently triggered to keep him until June 2025, but he could be sold if he does not accept fresh terms.
His departure could pave the way for Dumfries’ arrival. The Dutchman was a right-back during his time at PSV Eindhoven but has been transformed into a right wing-back at San Siro.
This has brought the best out of him in an attacking point of view. Dumfries has played only 1240 minutes this campaign, but he has six goal contributions to his name.
He has also won more than four duels per outing. His work rate would be a perfect fit for Ten Hag’s playing style. He is currently valued at €30 million and could cost a similar fee this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow