Manchester United will need to pay over €100 million to sign Benfica forward Darwin Nunez this summer, Portuguese outlet A Bola claims.
The Uruguayan has been in exceptional form for Benfica this campaign, bagging 28 goals from just 35 appearances across all competitions.
This has led to widespread speculation over his future. United are reportedly one of the clubs, who are interested in landing his services.
Nunez was valued at around €75m earlier last month, but A Bola claims that Benfica could now hold out for more than €100m to sanction his sale.
United are set for a busy summer after what is turning out to be a frustrating campaign for them in the Premier League.
The season started with hopes of challenging for the title, but it is now uncertain whether they will qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Regardless of where they finish, the club could be active this summer. The focus on lie on pursuing emerging young players over big-name stars.
This would fall right into the transfer policy of Erik ten Hag, who looks set to be appointed as the Red Devils’ next permanent head coach.
With Edinson Cavani due to leave at the expiry of his contract this summer, Nunez would be an ideal signing with a long-term plan in mind.
The price tag may not be beyond the reach of United, but it has been claimed that Champions League football is key to luring Nunez.
The club are presently three points adrift of the top four, and still have a genuine chance to make up ground with eight games left in the campaign.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final