Manchester United have to pay at least €50 million to sign PSV star Cody Gakpo during the January transfer window, according to Eindhovens Dagblad (ED).
The Netherlands international has been in superb form for club and country this season. He scored 13 goals and provided 17 assists for PSV before the World Cup break.
He was also hugely impressive for his national team in Qatar. The 23-year-old netted in each of their group stage victories and looked a class apart from his teammates.
ED now report that PSV are eyeing at least €50m for Gakpo. United and Real Madrid are mentioned as candidates to sign him, but a deal depends on the payment structure.
It is added that clubs interested in signing Gakpo need to be quick. PSV are unlikely to entertain any bids for the Dutchman towards the end of the January transfer window.
PSV eyeing big fee up front for Gakpo
Gakpo came close to joining United last summer, but the club ended their pursuit after spending their remaining transfer budget on signing Antony from Ajax.
The 23-year-old has given an open invitation to United to sign him, but the main question is whether the hierarchy are ready to spend big on the player next month.
Judging by PSV’s stance, they are eyeing most of the fee front instead of staggered payments which has become the general practice among big clubs in recent years.
Meanwhile, United have had a tendency of delaying big-money deals until the deadline in the hope of discounts. A similar ploy could see them miss out on Gakpo next month.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer