Manchester United have their sights on pursuing Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans, Belgian outlet Gazet van Antwerpen (today’s edition) reports.
The 24-year-old has been with the Foxes for the past three years but could be heading for the exit door this summer amid his reluctance to sign a new contract.
He is valued at £46.3 million (€55m) by Transfermarkt, but the Foxes could accept a fee of around £33.7m (€40m) with his current deal expiring in June 2023.
United are keen admirers of the Belgian ace, but they are not alone in the transfer pursuit. Arsenal, Juventus and Real Madrid are also following his situation.
Tielemans, who has bagged six goals and three assists for the Foxes this term, is ‘ready for a top transfer’ as he enters the prime phase of his playing career.
United are likely to pursue a defensive midfielder this summer. It has been speculated that they may prefer a Premier League-based signing over someone abroad.
Tielemans would be a superb addition to the squad. The Belgian has been defensively solid this term with an impressive two tackles per game, but he offers much more.
He has the gifted ability to get out of tight spaces with his quality dribbling, while he is also a creative presence. He has seven goal contributions in 16 league games this term, with two shots per appearance.
Hence, Tielemans can be considered a box-to-box midfielder similar to Paul Pogba but with better defensive assurance. Tielemans could end up as a potential replacement for the Frenchman this summer.
Pogba’s current deal expires in June, and there appears no progress in contract talks lately.
It has been recently reported that he has his sights on a reunion with Juventus on a free transfer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd agree fee with Barcelona for Frenkie de Jong
- Erik ten Hag could hand first-team chance to James Garner
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final