Manchester United are weighing up an approach for RB Leipzig defender Nordi Mukiele, French outlet Foot Mercato claims.
The Red Devils are likely to reinforce multiple positions during the summer, and a new right-back could be one of the prime priorities.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Diogo Dalot have shared the playing time from the position this term, but neither have been particularly impressive.
Hence, one of them could be replaced by a summer arrival. Foot Mercato claims United are planning a formal move for Mukiele.
The 24-year-old has been tracked by United scouts for several years, and they are now prepared to step up their pursuit with an offer.
Interim boss Ralf Rangnick will take up a consultant role this summer, but could still play an important part in luring Mukiele to Old Trafford.
The German previously signed the £22.5 million-rated star for Leipzig as their manager. He could now convince him over a move to Manchester.
United face strong competition from Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid for Mukiele, who can play in multiple defensive roles.
Wan-Bissaka and Dalot have got sufficient opportunities from the starting line-up this term, but have not registered a goal or an assist.
With Erik ten Hag set to takeover, he may want an upgrade on the duo. The Dutchman prefers to work with attacking full-backs with creativity.
Mukiele’s statistics are not overwhelming with just seven goal contributions (five goals and two assists), but could be a better fit under Ten Hag.
He could provide the right balance between attack and defence for United with an impressive two tackes per game over the course of his career.
Mukiele, who can also play at right wing-back or centre-back, could be available on a cut-price deal with his contract expiring in June 2023.
Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern and Atletico could all assure him with Champions League football as well as the prospect of trophies.
United are set for a transitional phase under Ten Hag, but Mukiele could still be lured by utilising his former association with Rangnick.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra